Planning & Booking
From the moment travelers begin planning a trip, online travel and financial services companies are helping them make informed, sustainable decisions. Travelers can sort flights by carbon emissions and compare hotels’ sustainability efforts when browsing search results. While booking, travelers can sort flights by carbon emissions and select hotels recognized for their sustainable practices. Financial services providers are doing their part by offering carbon credits to clients and providing financing for sustainability initiatives.
- Developed a Sustainable Travel Index using its 300+ travel and tourism data partners. The index takes into account length of travel, sustainable accommodations, local spending, and traveler investments in sustainable products (e.g., solar or EVs).
- Will provide $10 million to partners and programs targeting climate change and pollution from 2021 through 2025.
- Has maintained carbon neutral operations powered by 100% renewable electricity since 2018
- Committed to net-zero emissions by 2035 in alignment with the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi)
- Joined RE100, a global initiative of influential businesses committed to using 100% renewable electricity
- Sourced 95% of direct marketing, customer communications, and office paper from certified responsibly managed forests
- Funded the planting of more than 150,000 trees through colleague engagement campaigns during Earth Month in 2020 and 2021
- Launched ‘Stay with Purpose,’ a directory of hotels that are committed to furthering conservation, community development and inclusive travel—making it easier for card members to book hotels that align with their values
American Express Global Business Travel
- Has partnered with and funded organizations like the Center for Disaster Philanthropy to help communities respond to disaster and build resilience, as well as the Travel Foundation, with which Expedia is building a program to create climate champions and help destinations develop climate action plans to produce positive change in their communities.
- Carbon neutral since 2017 and purchased renewable electricity equivalent to 100% of its facilities consumption worldwide since 2020.
Expedia Group, Google, Tripadvisor, and Visa
- Working with industry peers as part of the Travalyst Coalition to develop an open-source, standardized method for estimating the emissions associated with aviation as well as a methodology for determining the relative sustainability of lodging options.
- Helps travelers sort flights by carbon emission estimates and browse hotels’ sustainability efforts in search results, verified by independent organizations like GreenKey and EarthCheck. Created the publicly accessible Travel Impact Model to establish a consistent methodology for estimating aviation emissions. Working with academics, nonprofits, and industry partners to refine the model and make it more widely available.
- Achieved carbon neutrality across its operations beginning in 2020 through transition to 100% renewable energy, energy efficiency initiatives and limited use of carbon offsets.
- Issued an inaugural green bond of $500 million to finance projects such as high-efficiency buildings, energy and water efficiency improvements, renewable energy, and initiatives focused on sustainable consumer behaviors.